Friday, December 13, 2013

Shirting Scrap bag

 Here are two scrap quilts made from a shirting scrap bag.  Deanna always stops by the factory outlet store when she is in Monterey and offered to pick up scrap bags for our mini group.  Three of us took her up on her offer and gave her $20 dollars.  She came back with 3 bags full of mens shirt scraps.
Isn't it amazing how wonderful these lap quilts came out.  Just in time for gifts to some coworkers who are retiring soon.  There is still a lot of scraps left over.  They are very high quality cottons that almost feel like silk.  I really haven't done much quilting on these.  I used an Aurifil 12 wt white thread for the top and used my walking foot to keep the stitches from puckering.

David is one of my coworkers who is retiring at the end of this month.  He will have 40 years working for the post office.  This material is perfect, because he won't have to wear his dress shirts and ties anymore.  We are planning a pot luck lunch with gifts.  I was planning to bring some Sharpie marking pens, but I think I'll ask him if he wants his quilt without everyone writing all over it.  There is a poster size picture we made with his picture that we are writing all over.

Thank you Deanna for getting the scrap bag for me.  I can think of at least three more coworkers who are planning to retire soon.  They keep talking about it, but are holding out for an incentive from the USPS.  I'm glad I have the resources to make these small gifts.  Now I have to sit back and see who the second quilt will go to.  Loreice..Gary...Sonny...Ed..Rana..

No comments:

Post a Comment