I decided to start cutting my Japanese fabric and make some queen size tops for donation. This is the first one that I made. It is cuts of 9 inch fabrics sewn together. There are 10 across and 10 down for a total of 100 stash busting fabrics.
The fabrics are pretty, but this layout does not enhance the design or the fabric. The size is 85 x 85 and was donated to EBHQ quilts.
This layout is a little bit better. It is the same 100 assorted japanese fabrics. This time the fabrics were matched with dark and light. Then a diagonal line was drawn and 1/4 inch sewn on either side of the diagonal. This gave me 2 half square fabrics. Put together in this placement is much more pleasing.
Here is a closeup photo. From far away you can clearly see the dark and lights. Up close it is not as easy. This was donated to EBHQ and came out to 83 x 84.
This is the same assortment of 100 fabrics of japanese fabrics. I like this design much better. I sorted out about 20 dark fabrics and cut the 9 inch fabrics into 4 to make 2.25 x 9 inch cuts. I placed 64 fabrics on the design wall sorting them by color. I also cut about 81 brights of 2.25 x 2.25 for the cornerstones from the scraps.
This took a little longer to piece and arrange but it shows off the fabrics much better when it is surrounded by a dark fabric. I've shown this to family and friends and they all want this one to be made up. Well, I do have more japanese fabrics that I haven't cut up yet. I have to find the backing, but I won't donate this to EBHQ.