Friday, December 13, 2013

Freddy Moran - Red Sticks

Red Sticks was one of the workshops that I took with Freddy Moran.  She is famous for her color choices.  Some of the things I learned:

Red is a neutral
If its too long, cut it off.  If its too short, add on
10 fabrics is good 100 is better

Can you tell this was very improvisational.  The picture should actually be turned 90 degrees.  The red bamboo fabric was placed in the middle, because I got tired of making more pieces. This was all pieced in 2 days and the quilt was put together in quilted in another 2 days.  I was very surprised to see all the workshop students show their quilts at Freddys lecture.  They worked all weekend and some finished their quilts by Monday.

The border on Freddys sample quilt had red on red squares bordering the whole quilt.  It added an extra depth to the quilt.  She also used a focal fabric in the middle of her quilt.  It was not as large as my bamboo fabric.

Red Bamboo is going to be a gift to Lola and Jason for their baby Casper.  The back is a patterned red fabric.  I quilted it with a Red Aurifil 12 wt thread on top and red gutterman 50 wt thread on the bottom.  I used the walking foot and followed the lines of the sticks to stabilize the whole quilt.  At first I thought this quilt was too bold and red to be a baby quilt.  Doris convinced me that they will love it.  Its bright, lively and will endure many washings.

No comments:

Post a Comment