Saturday, November 29, 2014
The last 3 months, I have made 3 lap size quilts. This is the latest which measures 48 x 48. How do I know? The block finishes 8 inches by 12 inches. Joan found this pattern from a magazine and showed it to our group. I think she was on her second huge quilt when she shared the instructions with us.
This was another possibility.
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
I used red sashiko thread to tie the corners. Because this is a tied quilt, it is not admissible into PIQF. Too bad.
I chose to use the red Cherrywood fabric for the border. Why? Because it was already made and waiting for another project that I am working on. Now I have to cut up more Cherrywood to finish that last project.
Friday, June 20, 2014
The detail shows the shibori hand stitching where the flowers were continued in the red, pink, purple and blue sections.
As you can see, the quilt show was amazing. I am always surprised at the beautiful quilts at this show.
Saturday, June 7, 2014
As a retirement quilt, I would usually have my coworkers sign the front of the quilt and use it like a big card. I so liked the way this quilt turned out, that instead of having everyone sign the front of the quilt, I kept the back of the quilt white, so everyone could just sign the back.
The pattern comes from a quilt that I saw by Pat Bailey at our Voices in Cloth show. I talked to her at the show and told her how much I liked her quilt and the african ladies pattern.She said she would send me the pattern, but I ended up just drafting it from a picture. I don't know what the size of her block was, but by drafting the design on my own, I could make the block size to the dimension that I wanted. Pats quilt had sashing and a border. I chose to just use the one fabric. The same fabric was used as a binding.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
I have started to use the leftovers of the 42 fat quarter Kaffe shot cottons. There was only a 5 inch strip x 18 inch left. What can you make with these small strips of fabric? My next project. You'll just have to wait and see. I have already finished cutting all the fabric. Now if I can find the time to piece them together.
Thursday, February 20, 2014
Monday, February 17, 2014
This is my first attempt at making a new bib. I traced the original onto a bath towel and cut out the shape. I used a grey bias tape and and tried to sew the tape around the edges by just folding the edges around the towel and sewing it. It was not too successful. The new velcro from JoAnns $1 dollar craft bin works well though and holds the ends together great. I took a label and wrote Doris name on this bib.
This is the second one that I made. This time I ironed the bias tape flat. Sewed a 1/4 inch of the tape around the edges of the cut out towel and then hand stitched the bias tape to the back. Just like a quilt binding. Feed Me was her brothers idea. Now all Doris has to do is point to Feed Me if she gets hungry. The lettering was scraps of colorful fabric that were hand sewn on.
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
These are the 5 postcards I made yesterday. They were supposed to go to the fundraiser for the VIC show, but Larry has put a kapu on them. Which means he has taken them for birthday gifts. Now I have to make more postcards, so I thought I'd better write it down so I can remember how I did it.
Then I ironed on the hula girl to the fabric. I used a clear polyester thread and sewed around the hula girl to stitch it down to the fast 2 fuse and hawaiian fabric. Then I cut around the edges of the hawaiian fabric to fit the 4 x 6 fast 2 fuse piece.
Monday, January 20, 2014
This is my entry for the National Park Service World War II challenge quilts. It is a picture of an identification badge that was posted on the Rosie the Riverter flicker photo page on their website. The original picture was named RORI 2628. I contacted the curator by email and asked permission to use this photo for my project. They were so helpful and actually attached the photo to the email. I chose this picture because of the red border. The red is very striking and had a wonderful white scrollwork throughout the red.
I thought I was going to use an actual blouse for the shirt, and cut up an old shirt. My idea was to have the collar flap extend out of the quilt. But that did not work so well. I found some stripe fabric instead and traced templates of the shirt and coat. I backed the fabric with wonder under and then used the templates to cut out the fabric. All the pieces were ironed on the quilt and then carefully stitched down.
She looks like she is in a lineup with the height measurements in the back. Hopefully IDENTIFICATION will be picked for the VIC show. I wrote about how I could identify with this picture. Since I live right next to the Rosie the Riveter National Park, it will be nice to see this quilt in the show.
Identification has been accepted to the Rosie the Riveter National Park Challenge quilts. Feb 2014
Sunday, January 5, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014
Last night I decided to eat the mochi from the new years mochi display. Unfortunately, I waited too long, because the mold has gotten to it first. It still looks so pretty, that I thought you might enjoy a picture. My father would say to cut the mold out and cut it into small pieces and eat it. I'm too lazy and since we still had frozen mochi, I made that instead.