Friday, May 6, 2016

Score 1 Improv Squares

 Sherri Lynn Wood taught an EBHQ workshop on her Improvisational techniques.  This is from the Saturday workshop on Score 1 or Improvisational Squares.  I started with 3 fabrics, a white on white, a Japanese printed kasuri and a Hawaiian palaka or checkerboard print.  Following her instructions we cut the 3 fabrics into squares and just started sewing them together.  I loved it.
 From 10 feet away you don't notice the quilting.  Up close you can see the white thread on the dark blue fabrics.  I used both the front and back of the blue kasuri and the white fabrics.  The backs of both of these fabrics showed the base fabric without the printing and gave another dimension to the fabrics.
 I introduced a 4th fabric to help bind the assorted pieces together.  I think this fabric is Korean.  I would have liked to have fabrics printed in Japanese or Hawaiian to use, but this is the closest one I could find in blue and white.  I wanted to show the language barrier that results when different cultures come together. 
This orange and white Hawaiian print is the backing fabric.  What a shock of color after the blue and white.  I used a white gutterman thread to quilt around the flower and leaf motifs.

2 comments: