Friday, May 6, 2016

Double Ikat

 This is a picture that Betsy took of my Double Ikat quilt.  I had been saving double ikat fabrics for quite a while now.  Joan knew that I loved Japanese fabrics and gave me a handful of mostly black, grey and white double ikats.  I paired the black and white ikats with my Kaffe ikats and all the single and double ikats from my treasured Japanese fabrics.
 Most of the double ikat is handwoven.  Some of the Kaffe ikats are printed on.  Can you tell which is which?  Look closely at the fabric to notice the difference between a printed and a handwoven.   Kaffe Fassett had a line of colorful checked and dotted double ikats that were woven in India.  After a few years when I tried to get more, he started to use printed fabrics instead of the handwoven. 

I used the diamond and square pattern to show off the fabrics.  I tried to keep the colorful fabrics in the middle with the greys.  The black and white alternate on the top and bottom.
It was hard to cut some of the handwoven fabric.  I used to weave fabric in the 80's, so I know how hard it is to warp the loom and weave the weft fabrics.  It takes a lot of skill and patience.  I was just starting to dye my own threads when I moved to the East Bay and decided to store my loom.

The backing is a pink and grey hawaiian print.

No comments:

Post a Comment