Friday, May 27, 2016

Improvisational Curve


 Sherri Lynn Wood taught Improvisational Curves on her Monday workshop. The fabrics come from 1 package of Grab Bag Cherrywood fabrics and 1 sampler pack of plaids from the C and T annual sale.  I started by sorting the dark medium and lights from the Grab Bag.  From the darks, I chose a range of 5 to 7 fabrics and made sure there was 1 zinger fabric that highlighted the darks.  These were cut into wedges and sewn together.
 Sherri discouraged the use of the rotary cutter and said to freehand cut the wedges with a scissors.  To create interest, some scraps were pieced together to form a wedge.
 The hardest part of the process was piecing the curves together.  I laid a dark and a light wedge with the right sides up and cut them together with a scissors.  Using a tailors chalk, I marked the edges where the light and dark met like dressmakers notches.  Then I pinned the right sides together and sewed.
All of the scraps were used to fill in the borders and the puka (hole) created in the circle.  Bobbi suggested I use the plaid fabrics in the puka instead of a solid color.  Good eyes Bobbi.  Thanks for the suggestion.

2 comments: