Sunday, May 22, 2016

Lone Star

 Helen Frost Young taught a workshop on the Lone Star pattern.  She asked us to pick out a dark medium and light fabric for the lone-star and complementary background and border fabrics.  Some students picked the border fabric first and then chose complementary fabrics from those.
 I chose Japanese dragonfly fabrics in yellow pink and orange.  Usually those colors don't match, but because the fabrics were like Japanese chirimen, almost a seersucker like fabric, they were complimentary in feel.  The background pale pink is also a Japanese fabric with a subtle woven feel.
 The skinny border is an old Japanese print and the orange border is the orange middle fabric used in the lone-star.  I used free motion quilting to highlight the dragonfly motifs in the border fabric.
The backing fabric and border are the same.  I don't remember where I got this.  Helen asked me where I found the dragonfly fabrics.  I think I bought the fabrics at Kaimuki Dry goods.  Probably a long time ago.  Whenever I visit my Mom in Hawaii, I always look for fabric, especially Japanese fabric.  I could have used regular quilting fabric especially since this was a sampler workshop, but I decided that the dragonflies had waited long enough.  I used wool batting which gave it a puffy lightness to the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment