Sunday, June 18, 2017

Cranes at Sunset

 Cranes at Sunset measures 60 x 65.  It is made with fabrics from the Temari Bolts of Fabric sale, my Moms stash and Japanese fabric from Bernice.  There are Ikats, Kasuri, Handwovens, indigo and other small pieces of fabrics.  I think the variety of color against the dark blue background makes the color just pop.
 Here is a closeup.
 Yes the points do not match.  Oh well.  I was lucky to get the pattern from a friend of a friend who took the class from Karen Matsumoto.  The pattern did not have instructions, so I just started cutting away and sewing to what I thought it should look like.

I made a template out of plastic to the size that the block should be.  As you can see, I was off a little here and there.  I cut all the pieces to the same size and sewed them all together.

The greens, reds and yellow pieces were sorted to look like birds in flight.  The border and binding comes from a bolt of kasuri.  The backing fabric is also a Japanese kasuri that used the whole bolt.  The batting came from the Temari sale and was about an inch thick.  I think it was a cotton polyester blend.  The quilting is stitch in a ditch around all the birds and triangles.  I highlighted the border fabric to show the undulating curves in the fabric pattern.  This quilt was given to Bernice to thank her for the beautiful Japanese fabrics that she gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment