Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Rayna Gillman

 This is a quilt that I made using the fabric from Rayna Gillmans fabric stencil workshop.  The design of the quilt is actually from a picture from Sunset Magazine.  Ellen had brought the pictures to our mini group and I liked this picture.  It makes you think of construction.  How am I going to draft the block.  Where is the block?  I had to figure out the dimensions of the blocks and triangles.  I used construction paper to do a layout of the design and then just started cutting the fabric pieces.  All the fabric used in this quilt were hand dyed, hand stenciled and painted with fabric paints.

Doesn't it have a very spring like feel to the colors.  This is a very different color palette than what I have been making lately.  As soon as I put it on the wall, it really brightened the room.  I think I'm going to keep it on the wall for a while.  It will remind me that spring is on the way.  Just like the first daffodils of spring.
I haven't decided on the quilting yet.  It is stabilized by quilting in the ditch around all of the squares and triangles.  I think it needs more quilting yet I haven't decided how.  In the meantime it is pinned to my dining room wall, so I can keep looking at it.  It adds a nice modern touch to my white wall.

This quilt has been given to Mrs Chiu for her 70th Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment