Monday, January 20, 2014

Identification


This is my entry for the National Park Service World War II challenge quilts.  It is a picture of an identification badge that was posted on the Rosie the Riverter flicker photo page on their website.  The original picture was named RORI 2628.  I contacted the curator by email and asked permission to use this photo for my project.  They were so helpful and actually attached the photo to the email.  I chose this picture because of the red border.  The red is very striking and had a wonderful white scrollwork throughout the red.  

 I used Bubble Jet Set and printed it on a Kona white cotton.  The main picture was one 8 x 11 sheet , the lettering were 3 other sheets of treated fabric.  The hardest part to recreate was the lettering for IDENTIFICATION.  At first I thought I could just print it, but since I was using my own red for the border, I had to carefully cut out each letter after backing it with wonder under.  I used a 100 wt silk thread and a number 6 needle to carefully sew around each tiny letter.
The scrollwork in the red border was challenging.  I tried drawing it on, printing it on tissue paper and then sewing it on, using a circle to sew it and really just used all three techniques to make that elaborate scroll.

I thought I was going to use an actual blouse for the shirt, and cut up an old shirt.  My idea was to have the collar flap extend out of the quilt.  But that did not work so well.  I found some stripe fabric instead and traced templates of the shirt and coat.  I backed the fabric with wonder under and then used the templates to cut out the fabric.   All the pieces were ironed on the quilt and then carefully stitched down.

She looks like she is in a lineup with the height measurements in the back.  Hopefully IDENTIFICATION will be picked for the VIC show.  I wrote about how I could identify with this picture.  Since I live right next to the Rosie the Riveter National Park, it will be nice to see this quilt in the show.

Identification has been accepted to the Rosie the Riveter National Park Challenge quilts. Feb 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment