Monday, February 19, 2018

Skyscrapers

This is my latest quilt.  It was made from four panels of the Hoffman watercolor fabric.  I did not count the total number of swatches, but they were 1 inch by 2 inch pieces of the watercolor palette.  The size was enough to make either a thimble or half a hexagon.  Two panels were used to make the hexagons and two panels were used in the thimbles.

I tried to keep the thimbles sorted.  I added one row of Hoffman fabric and three rows of scrap thimbles.  It was hard to find the right colors in the scraps.


I did not plan the border very well.  The top and bottom border were originally one piece.  I had to stretch the hexagons out by separating the two hexagons to have enough for the top and bottom border.  The white fabric came from scraps of white on white and the leftovers from the Hoffman panels.

This was made over a two year time.  I would start it and then put it away.  The hexagons were hand pieced.  The thimbles were machine pieced.  The quilting is stitch in a ditch.





No comments:

Post a Comment