Thursday, May 23, 2013

John Marshall Workshop


This is a stencil that John made of his good friend holding a duck.  When I first picked up this stencil, I did not see the duck.  He showed me the outline of the duck and how to accentuate areas of the stencil using the indigo pigment.  You can barely see it, but there is a touch of green in his jeans.

 The Ibis stencil is lighter in color.  I dipped it in the light indigo vat.  There is a touch of blue in the winged figure on the top left.
 The Rooster stencil was very intricate.  There is a double row of dots all around the framing.  I used the red pigment on the roosters crown and feet.
 The plantation worker is dressed  very much like my grandmother Sato.  She worked on a sugar and pineapple plantation in Hawaii for 25 years and raised 10 kids.  Her features are not quite my grandmas, but the clothes and hat really captures the image.  There is a touch of brown pigment in the staff.
Daruma is such a strong character.  The fabric this is printed on is a loosely woven linen.  The indigo blue is very lovely.  For some reason, I think this stencil came out the best.  No color pigments were applied.

I really enjoyed John Marshalls indigo workshop. I hope to write more about the indigo vats, the rice bran resist and the soymilk wash.  For now, I'll just enjoy the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment