Saturday, February 11, 2012

2 aprons

Midori asked me to look at 2 aprons that she had.  The first apron was bought recently and all she needed was to have the hem sewn up 5 inches.  That was easily done.  I cut off 4 inches from the bottom and hemmed it on the sewing machine with matching thread.

 The second apron was made by her mother about 30 years ago.   The cotton is very soft and thin, but she said it fits her perfectly and she wanted another one made.  The first thing I noticed was it was cut on the bias.
 The top of the apron had an extra piece of material sewn on the top to finish the top edge and give it more stability.
I bought 1 yard of fabric from JoAnn fabric store.  Using a taylors chalk, I traced the pink apron on the bias of the fabric and cut out the main piece.  Then I cut out the other pieces.   First, I hemmed the bottom, with a hand stitch.  Then I folded under the sides by 1/4 and 1/4 again and sewed up the sides and top.  I understand why it was cut on the bias when I got to the arm area.  The bias gave that area enough give to make a clean seam.  Lastly I tacked on the straps and the apron was done.
This is the cotton apron I made to replace the pink one.  I found a piece of coordinating fabric to make the pocket.  You always need a pocket.  I gave it to her today and she said "What a wonderful Valentines gift".
oh Yeah.  Happy Valentines Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment