Wednesday, November 23, 2011

wooden ironing board

My ironing board is an old wooden board that I have had about 30 years.  Every time the cover got old or worn out, I would just tie the new one over the top of the old cover.  Well,  I didn't realize how many layers I had until I had got a new cover that uses contact paper to tape onto the board.  I counted 8 layers.  Of course, I didn't supply all those layers.  Just the last 4 or 5.  It's the first 2 layers that caught me by surprise.



This is layer number 2.  Notice the year is 1978. 


This is the 1st layer.  I always wondered why it was so bumpy in places.  It was these old nails that were loose.  What's great about a wooden ironing board is you can take a hammer to all the loose nails.


I was tempted to cut pieces of the ironing board covers and make a quilt about ironing.  Nah.  I did keep the Botan rice bag. It has some brown spots.  I've seen a booth at the craft fairs in Hawaii that makes bags and shirts out of these.  It'll be fun trying to figure out what to use it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment