Thursday, May 23, 2013

Looks like suede

 Looks like suede is completed.  This is a log cabin quilt.  I don't know if the pattern has a name, but I just placed it 4 patches with all the lights in the middle and alternated it with 4 patches with all the darks in the middle.  Originally, the quilt was going to be a third of the size.  It all started when Betsy showed us her Amish inspired quilt that she made using Cherrywood fabric.  I loved the way the fabric looked like suede and asked where she got it.  She found it at PIQF and bought a grab bag of 7x9 inch fabric pieces.
 At the PIQF last year, I bought 1 grab bag and 1 cherry roll from Cherrywood fabrics.  To make the most of these 2 selections, I cut the 2 and 1/2 inch strips in half.  So I had a lot of 1 1/4 inch strips.  Then I cut up all the grab bag pieces into 1 1/4 inch strips and laid them all in a box.  The lights and the darks were sorted in the box.  Starting with a 1 1/4 inch square, I pieced the log cabin square.
This is a closeup of the quilting.  I ended up buying 2 more grab bags and 1 more cherry roll to make it into a queen size quilt.  This has a wool batting, a hand dyed backing fabric and a red border.  I used red aurifil 12 wt thread in the quilting.    The red is so intense close up.  But if you step 10 feet away, you don't even see it.  Strange how color tricks your eyes.  I had to use only what was in the box of cut up strips.  This forced me to compromise on the lights and darks.  Since a lot of the color is in the mid range the lights and darks are not as clearly defined as I would have wanted, but somehow it all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment